Please visit our consumer web site at www.PointOfCareSD.com to learn more about Point of Care Exchange.
- State-of-the-art systems are used to secure records to the greatest degree possible and prevent access by unauthorized persons. All systems must comply with the security rules of the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) including amendments made by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) act.
- Your medical information is kept private and secure. It is only viewable by authorized healthcare providers in South Dakota while providing care to you or a family member. Support staff at your healthcare provider’s office may be able to access basic information, such as your name and address, but they may NOT have access to your private medical information.
- South Dakota Health Link is a secure way for your doctor to get the most up-to-date medical information about you. Only health care providers with a valid reason will be allowed to see your test results and reports. Also, information that could help save your life in a medical emergency will be available to emergency room (ER) doctors.
- South Dakota Health Link protects privacy by tracking who has looked at your information. A report of who has looked at your medical information is available from South Dakota Health Link. Your health information is not available to health insurance companies or your employer through South Dakota Health Link.
- If you choose not to participate, health care providers will not be able to look for your records in South Dakota Health Link. Choosing not to participate means emergency room (ER) doctors will not be able to get information that could help them give you better care or save your life in an emergency.
If you still wish to opt-out you will need to download and complete the form below. Fill the form out and have the form signed by a Notary Public or by a Health Care Provider (physician, nurse practitioner, or physicians’ assistant) licensed in the State of South Dakota (to ensure your identity). Please note this opt-out will remain in effect until you choose to opt back in (process below). You only need to opt-out one time. Your opt-out will be in effect for any other participating health care provider you may see. You do not need to opt-out at each provider.
If you have previously opted-out and wish to opt back in you will need to download the form below. Fill the form out and have the form signed by a Notary Public or by a Health Care Provider (physician, nurse practitioner, or physicians’ assistant) licensed in the State of South Dakota.